New Library and Upgraded Community Center
The Willow community is working to secure funding for a much needed new library and an upgraded community center. The new library will provide designated areas for young children, and teens, as well as a large program/meeting room to accommodate about 30 people. Plus, there will be a bathroom in the library! In addition to more space, the new library will offer up-to-date technologies and information access. The $5.7 million project also includes improvements to the adjoining community center — a new sprinkler system; new siding; new lighting, flooring and acoustic ceiling tiles; and upgraded bathrooms.
The Mat-Su Borough has budgeted $1.9 million for the project, and Mat-Su Health Foundation has awarded a grant of nearly $1.7 million. In order to use this grant, we must have 90 percent of the funds secured, which means there continues to be a strong effort to receive grants and donations from a wide variety of potential donors. Willow Library Association leads this effort, but help from the whole community is needed.
Previously, the State of Alaska was the primary funder of public libraries. With the current status of the economy, that is not happening. WLA has submitted applications to the State each of the last three years and will continue to do so, but there’s no indication that money will again be appropriated for new libraries in the near future. Therefore, we must seek and receive monies from elsewhere.
Every donation, big and small, demonstrates community support and propels us toward the goal. While WLA works on larger grants and donations, the rest of the community can be helping at whatever level they can. Please consider a donation here and now. If you don’t donate here, please do so at the library. If a direct donation does not seem possible for you now, pick up information at the library about how to support through Fred Meyer Rewards, Amazon Smile, and/or Pick. Click. Give. YOU can support the project. EVERYONE has a way to help!
This project will give Willow a modern, up-to-date library and an updated community center that will make a positive impact on life in our community for many years to come.
Let’s make it happen! Thank you for helping!
A Beautiful New Library and Updated Community Center
This project will give Willow a modern, up-to-date library and a refurbished, updated community center that will make an impact on this community for thirty or forty years.
Project upgrades include:
- completely new structure with twice as much square footage and room for more seating and tables
- a separate Teen Area and separate Children’s Area
- a small Business Center
- a Small Conference Room
- a Multi-Purpose Conference Room with seating for up to 30, with kitchenette and adjacent storage for tables and chairs (to fill the gap between the small meeting room that can seat eight and the large hall in the Community Center that seats up to 300)
- upgraded circulation desk with staff workroom
- new outdoor, covered seating area
- a planting area, lawn, and landscaping to include trees
- new exterior siding and trim with heavy timber and wood elements
- sidewalks around with drive-up book drop and defined disabled parking areas
- new roof with better runoff routes and ventilation to minimize drainage issues and glaciation
- additional restrooms in the library
- new exterior siding and trim to match library upgrade with heavy timber and wood elements
- automatic sprinkler system throughout the building
- improved paving
- new parking lot lighting
- new flooring in the Community Center and entry
- new acoustic tile ceiling
- new LED lighting
- 2 new multi-purpose restrooms
Upgrade Project Plan
Construction Cost Estimate